The way that we design and build our communities impacts how we live. Healthy communities provide safe places to recreate and easy access to a variety of healthy foods.
Healthy Communities Promote Physical Activity
- Building communities that encourage walking and biking can increase physical activity.
- People are more likely to walk or ride a bike if safe, accessible walkways and pathways are available.
Healthy Communities Promote Healthy Eating
- Building grocery stores and establishing local farmers’ markets close to residential areas helps to provide easy access to fresh healthy foods to all community members including those who do not have cars.
- Is Your Community Walkable? (Checklist)
- Is Your Community Bikeable? (Checklist)